Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Taxi Driver

Credits

Cool Taxi Driver

Anybody else love this movie?? I could not live without this film on my shelf!! So many classic scenes all in one film. I think De Niro gives one of the best performances of all time and the fact that he didn't win an oscar for it is beyond me.

What's everyone's favourite scene, mine is probably either the classic "You talkin' to me?" speech or the scene with Scosese as the crazy passenger. Pure brilliance.

This is probably my favourite film of all time, though I really like Goodfella's and Se7en.

Chal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Thumbs up

great movie/great performance

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    it's a classic. de niro wuz the coolest man in the world cuz of that movie... and he still is! i need to start buying all the best classic to add to my collection.

i want this movie, scarface, all godfathers, dirty harry, serpico (i have that on laser but i want it on DVD), and i have been wanting Gone w/ the Wind really bad.

that's my goal
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits

Re: Taxi Driver

Originally posted by Travis
    Anybody else love this movie??
    Me! Me!

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me!?...

(Well now you know which is my favourite scene.)

Taxi Driver is actually my fav Scosese film to date, followed by The King of Comedy & Cape Fear. Haven't seen Mean Street or Goodfellas, (shame!) but I doubt my preference will change.

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits

Taxi Driver

Taxi Driver fans../ i am looking for your opinoins on the film. genuine opinions cos I am doing a project about it. If anyone fancies telling me what they liked disliked, let me know. Tell me what you liked about Travis.

Your ideas are valued.

Thankyou

Credits
    Great study on isolation and the negative effects of the lack of human interpersonal contact. Travis is the perfect example of someone who really needs a friend, but can't seem to communicate with anyone.

My favourite scenes are when Travis is trying to tell Wizard what is bothering him, but he just can't quite express himself. I think that scene explains his isolation, in that even though he is talking to someone, it is like he is still completely alone and misunderstood. I also like the climax where Travis shoots up the joint in a bloody massacre!

This film has a lot of depth, with far too many individual superlatives to analyze them all. I wrote an essay several years ago about the side story involving John Hinkley's obsession with this film, and in particular his fixation on Jodie Foster, that led to his assasination attempt on Ronald Reagan. At that time, I found it fascinating that someone could relate with the character of Travis Bickel so much that it would inspire him to emulate the actions of the film. With the media driven culture of today, it is not as unusual as it was back then.

Credits

other star

thanx otha star. it sounds like u know ur stuff. Just to quiz we on some more things, what are ur ideas on Travis as a male character in 70's film post-vietnam war (the lost soldier) his status as a wander in society and his relationship with Cybil Shepherd (a female dominant lead in the 70's).

Thanx

Ian

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ian
    thanx otha star. it sounds like u know ur stuff. Just to quiz we on some more things, what are ur ideas on Travis as a male character in 70's film post-vietnam war (the lost soldier) his status as a wander in society and his relationship with Cybil Shepherd (a female dominant lead in the 70's).

Thanx

Ian
    I don't think Travis' problems are as much a result of his status as a veteran, although I'm sure that does contribute to his psychosis. He is able to get a job and is not really mistreated by anyone. I think it is more a result of his isolation in a city full of people. I think that is why he wanders the streets. He needs companionship and understanding.

Betsy is someone who is strong and confident, and he believes she can bring him out of his depression and loneliness. Unfortunately for Travis, he is too far gone from society to sustain a "normal" relationship.

Iris on the other hand is more of a charity case. Travis shows that there is good in him by trying to help her. He becomes the anti-hero and is beloved by society even though he commits acts that "society" would otherwise deem abhorrent. I do not believe that he ever feels any romantic feelings for Iris, more of a big brother relationship.

j7wild Guest
    Is there an editing problem at the end?

Travis shoots the Indian outside with his pearl handle nickel plated .38 snub.

He goes inside and shoots the "money man" with the .44 Magnum - ONCE.

the Indian has now come inside and he shoots Travis in the neck and Travis turns around and shoots the Indian again with the .44 Magnum - ONCE.

Then he drops the .44 Magnum and goes back to the pearl handle nickel plated .38 snub.

That .44 Magnum holds 6 rounds so he had 4 rounds left but he dropped it as it was empty;

I've seen this movie many times and the shootout scene from the time Travis goes into the building to the time he runs out of ammo and he has killed everyone, it seems like it's mis-edited or something is missing.